Wednesday, June 1, 2011

“OH MY GOSH” Antiques & Collectibles, Sterling, MA

“OH MY GOSH” Antiques & Collectibles
15 Waushacum Ave., Sterling, MA 01564
Open 7 Days 11-5, Tues & Thur 11 - 8



“OH MY GOSH” Antiques & Collectibles is a great little antique store that Sandy first brought me to sometime last year. This was before we decided to go on our “Quest for All Things Junk, Cheap or Just Plain Cool". We visited again in late winter 2011.

This gem of a spot is nestled among a converted cider mill in Sterling, Massachusetts. There are shop entrances on both sides of the building. Oh My Gosh is clearly marked and there are lots of parking spaces.
I loved the way the outside of the entrance was decorated. There were a few items hanging out front that drew my attention, but I was immediately drawn to the bicycle/lawn mower parked out front! It was an old bike with a hand pushed lawn mower attached to it. A great way to help save the environment and get
exercise too! We were greeted this day by Owner, Cheryl LaPointe (below).

I explained to Cheryl that Sass and I were co-writing a blog entitled our “Quest for Great Junk” and she was more than happy to tell us about her place. Let’s just say I recall some of the things Cheryl told me, this was a couple of months ago and at my age I'm starting to get brain farts! I do recall however, that the shop holds several Open House events throughout the year. Each of her cubicles or spaces are rented to individual vendors who sell their own items and set their own prices. She does the rest of the work, like maintaining the building, making sales, holding events, etc.

I have to tell you that I could probably spend a couple of hours just poking around this place. Each seller has his or her own style reflected in their space. You can find new, old, hardly used, or really used items. There are collectible items as well as antiques and plenty of other items in between. There’s one particular space I like to go into because it holds a variety of vintage toys, many of which I remember as a child, and so I go in and reminisce a bit on my journey through Oh My Gosh.

Spaces hold things like glassware, antique and reclaimed furniture (in one spot the seller has lovely repainted furniture), Americana items, linens, toys, and paintings. I’m not sure the number of spaces occupied in this shop, but I can tell you that there are many, I seem to get lost amoung them. Each time I go, I usually get separated from my partner in crime, but we eventually meet up at the front of the shop. Instead of shopping carriers there are cubby holes near the register where the buyer  can keep thier treasures while they hunt for more.

The basement of the shop holds a mishmash of all things which are not necessarily displayed as nicely as the things on the first floor. However, do not miss the opportunity of heading down there! You never know what you might find. On this particular trip I was lucky enough to find a large Pyrex mixing bowl for a mere $7. Anyone who is familiar with this brand of cookware knows they are not cheap, used or otherwise. This was most definitely a bargain and I was extremely happy with my find. I also got this funky little wreath with cherries on it for $1. Trust me though, if I’d had more money to work with that day I surely would have walked away with some bigger items! In my one hour of shopping I spent less than $10. Now that’s a bargain! Seekers of Stuff, you won’t be disappointed!

Oh, and remember -  the sellers change their merchandise frequently and seasonally. So there’s always something new there or something you didn’t see on your first trip. This is a great place with friendly people, great buys, cool stuff and a great way to spend a couple of hours. I know I’ll be returning. I hope you take a trip to:


 OH MY GOSH Antiques & Collectibles:

We give OH MY GOSH :

   

For selection, friendliness, good prices and atmosphere!

Audrey & Sass
May 2011

1 comment: